Wednesday

a token from a fraudulent seller

Remember my entry on justice in online shopping? Here's a follow up on that one.

So I've already told the story of how I ended up filing a complaint in PayPal against a fraud eBay seller after receiving an email informing me that the item I bought in eBay has been removed from the listing as it allegedly infringes on the eBay VeRO Program. The seller sent a tracking number to PayPal during the investigation, perhaps to appease me that an item has been sent. PayPal required me to wait for a few more weeks to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. I waited and waited and when the waiting time is over and the dispute has not been resolved, I provided more information regarding my claim. In a few days time, PayPal concluded their investigation in my favor.

Several weeks after that though I received a post from the Parcel Section of the city's Central Post Office. Upon reading the post informing me that I need to claim a parcel, I felt sick. Thoughts swam in my mind. What if the seller didn't really screw me? What if it wasn't really a scam? What if the seller really did send the item? What if I turned out to be the one who screwed the seller? My mind was filled with these thoughts and I started feeling guilty. I don't think I could easily forgive myself if it turned out that I was the bad one. Filled with these thoughts, I immediately paid a visit to the city's Central Post Office.



Upon getting there, I was showed to the Parcel Section, which was located in a lonely, deserted area. The man on the counter asked for a valid ID and required me to pay Php 40. When he went inside the area where the parcels are kept, I thought I was going to die of nervousness. It was the deciding moment - the moment of knowing whether I deserved the justice I triumphantly celebrated just a few weeks ago. He came out with a slim parcel, which melted away all my worries. It's true, the seller was a fraud. I was truly deserving of PayPal's decision. I thought that was the end of it though. After that, I started feeling really bad. It sealed the guilt of the seller. And I started getting angry. Soon enough though, I snapped out of it because it was pointless to feel anger over someone for something that has already been resolved. I don't believe in anger anyway, it's a waste of energy. I learned something important about online shopping with this experience though, don't trust so easily and if I must buy from an international eBay seller, I definitely must pay via PayPal.



The parcel. It came from China.

The backside of the parcel.

This was what was inside the parcel. A coin.

The other side of the coin.

A resolved PayPal dispute later, I received a coin from China to remind me of this not-so-good eBay shopping experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment