Monday

justice in online shopping

Today, I am sharing good news. While it may not be relevant to everyone (and therefore, not relevant good news) and definitely bad news for one, this is definitely good news for me.

The case I opened in PayPal has already been resolved. I’m just so happy with the news that I had to save a screen shot. Moments like this – when you feel truimphant over winning even on small battles, when you feel that there is fairness and justice in world – while not exactly rare, do not really come that often.


Because I feel overjoyed today, I feel I need to share this story in here.
Over a month ago, I bought a 1TB Western Digital Passport External Portable HDD on eBay. It was my first time to buy something from an international seller and my PayPal account has just been activated so I was really excited to use it. It was reasonably priced, if not altogether affordable for the item. Since the transaction required me to pay instantly, I did just that. I’m trusting that way… I guess this comes from my stubborn innate belief that everyone is good (I dislike that about me sometimes but I love it about myself as well, I think it’s always better to see the world in a positive light). A day after though, I received an email from eBay informing me that the listing for the item I have bought has been removed because it allegedly infringes on the eBay VeRO program, citing that the item might not be authentic.

Imagine my reaction when I read that email. I felt my blood freeze and my heart drop – if that were even possible – as the reality of what has just happened dawned on me. I might have just been cheated. I couldn’t believe it at first and wondered how it was possible that a seller with such good feedback could screw a buyer - me - just like that. I think I was in disbelief and shock for an entire week – enough time for me to process the entire thing. Since the listing was removed, I couldn’t search for the seller. Good thing though that I sent the seller a message just seconds after I have paid for the item, inquiring how long it will take for the item to reach the Philippines. Through that message, I was able to check back on the seller and saw that people started giving him negative feedback around the time that I got the email from eBay regarding the removal of the listing. I’m not saying though that the negative feedback the seller received sealed his/her guilt. I don’t remember now what exactly I thought after seeing the negative feedbacks, but I sure remember how I felt.

I felt scared and a bit angry. I also felt sad for being treated unfairly. I felt cheated. But more scared, really.
I felt scared that I might not get the item I paid for nor the money I spent to pay for it. I felt scared that there might’ve been a mistake, that the seller might’ve sent the item already and that I might be wrongfully accusing him/her of cheating me. But ultimately, I felt scared just because I was cheated on. It doesn’t feel good at all to not be able to trust that there is justice. I guess that’s what happens to people who live in countries that are so used to large-scale and everyday corruption; you just don’t have faith in justice anymore. It’s heart-wrenching to not be able to have faith  in that, don’t you think so?

Anyway, I immediately took action as soon as I could. I filed a complaint seven days after the transaction (that’s six days after I received the email from eBay). Since I used PayPal for the purchase, I was directed to PayPal where I completed filing a complaint. It was a slow and painful wait. The seller sent a tracking number, which I tracked diligently – if not obsessively – almost everyday… actually, several times each day. But the status never showed any progress. After a month, I got an email from PayPal requiring me to provide further information about my claim. I forwarded the message I got from eBay and surprise, I received good news today.

It’s been a long day for me today and a long wait for that PayPal claim but all I can really say is that justice has been worth the wait.  Here’s to victories no matter how small. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment