Saturday

something worth celebrating

Last night, my friend announced that "summer is officially over" having seen it rain cats and dogs. Well, I hope she's right. I love summer but I also love the rainy season.

There's something I find very comforting about the rain. I can't really put my finger on it though - perhaps because I like the indoors more than the outdoors or that I'm just really sentimental.



There are many things I like about the rain and the rainy season. I like waking up to the sound of rain falling down on a tin roof. I like waking up to a cold morning, curling in bed enveloped in the warmth of my blanket, the sound of rain on the background. I like spending quiet moments, just watching the rain fall or listening to it fall while sipping a warm cup of Chai tea latte or reading a favorite book. I like how the rain makes everything seem still, how it drowns out the noise of everyday city life.

And because I love the rain, I think it is essential to have a good and comfortable pair of rain boots... or wellies, if you're British. That, and the fact that I really dislike it when my shoes get wet and soaked in rain. Apart from ruining a perfectly good pair of shoes, I also absolutely dislike my feet getting wet in rain and having no other choice but to wear my soaked shoes every darn step of my way home. To be honest, I don't understand why Filipinos are not into the habit of wearing rain boots when we get visited by at least several typhoons each year. Rain is something we can't avoid.

I already own two pairs of rain boots. My first pair is Puddles by Nomad in Black and White Plaid, which I got from CMG on sale for less than Php 1,000.

Image taken from Nomad's website

If I had a choice though, I would have gotten the Tan and Rose Plaid, which I think is absolutely adorable. I'm not sure if CMG still carries the Nomad brand but I doubt it since I haven't seen any rain boots in sight in my many recent visits.

Image taken from Nomad's website

My other pair of rain boots is navy blue in color and very affordable at around Php 250. I got them from Ace Hardware, in the gardening/outdoors section. The fit is comfortable however it is only lined with a very thin cloth, almost like a mesh, which makes it not as comfortable as my Nomad rain boots. It looks good when worn though.

And because a girl can never own too many pair of shoes or rain boots for that matter, my mind was set on buying a new pair of rain boots. I visited Google and asked about rain boots and found the Ready for Rain website. I was instantly smitten by the Catstooth boots because I thought it would go well even with my office clothes; plus I really love cats.

Image taken from Plueys Manila website

Image taken from Ready for Rain website

Ordering online was easy and they have good return/refund policies. I ordered instantly and got my rain boots the following morning. That was absolutely the quickest shipping I ever encountered in my one year of online shopping. But because I bought it on impulse, I overlooked product sizing and fit. I realized too late that I should have ordered size 37 instead of size 36; I'm a USA size 6. The boots fit but they were sadly just a tad small for me. I felt like Cinderella's stepsister, willing the shoe or in my case, boots, to fit. I contacted the company right away and got an immediate response. They even suggested that I can just go to their office to exchange the item to save on shipping. I really appreciated that. Here was a company who cared about their customers. To me, that was exceptional customer service. Kudos, Ready for Rain!

Unfortunately, Catstooth was no longer available in my size - the correct size. I wanted the Catstooth but I also really wanted Lotsa Dots so I wasn't pretty bummed when I found out that I won't be getting the Catstooth. It was my fault, in the first place. Plus Lotsa Dots is also very adorable.

Image take from Plueys Manila website

I got my Lotsa Dots rain boots last Tuesday and wore it the same evening because it rained really hard. I think I was the only person that night who was crazy enough to brave the strong downpour because I felt really comfortable and safe in my new rain boots.

Just opening the box makes you want to celebrate the rain.

What's the first nursery rhyme you learned as a kid? I don't remember mine but I'm sure that Rain, Rain, Go Away was one of the first nursery rhymes I learned. I still find myself chanting it when it rains although I know I am the last person to mean it... especially when I have this pair of comfortable and pretty rain boots with me. Are you ready to celebrate the rain? I know I am.

I love how Lotsa Dots is full of character. It looks really happy.
I feel happy just wearing it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment